October 5th, 2018
The European Aeronautics Science Network successfully carried out the 8th EASN-CEAS International Workshop on "Manufacturing for Growth & Innovation", in Glasgow between the 4th and 7th of September. The EASN Association, the Council of European Aerospace Societies (CEAS) and the University of Glasgow would like to address a big thank you to the Key Note Speakers, Session Chairs, Authors and Presenters, the members of the Scientific Committee and everyone else who has contributed to make this workshop one more successful gathering of the Association.
The event included 9 ?ey - ?ote Lectures and more than 140 technical presentations distributed in approximately 30 sessions. Amongst the others, 12 H2020 project dedicated sessions were organized, presenting their latest achievements and the future trends in the field. In total more than 150 participants joined the Workshop.During the four days gathering, distinguished personalities of the European Aviation Sector updated the delegates on the future Industrial trends and the European priorities with respect to the medium and long-term goals. More specifically,
- European Commission's Dr. Francky Callewaert, shared his viewpoint about "Finalising Horizon 2020, gearing up for Horizon Europe"
- Mr. Jens Koenig, from AIRBUS, spoke about the "Future Factory of Large Passenger Aircraft - Research in CleanSky 2 and beyond"
- Mr. Johan Steelant from the European Space Agency (ESA), focused on "Pioneering in Hypersonic Transportation: Technological Challenges, Paradigms and Paradoxes"
- Mr. Tom Williams, Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Airbus Commercial Aircraft presented the "Digital Design & Manufacturing ? Enabler for production ramp up", while
- Mr. Giuseppe Pagnano, from Clean Sky JU analysed the "Contribution to progress in Manufacturing: Clean Sky achievements"
- Mr. Andrew Schofield from BAE Systems spoke about "Shaping the future of Aircraft Manufacture"
- Dr. Konstantinos Stavrinidis, from IABG presented the "IABG Aircraft Testing Activities"
- Prof. Andreas Strohmayer, member of the Board of Directors of EASN as Industrial Advisory Officer shared the EASN approach about the "Challenge of accelerating impact of academic aviation research for increased competitiveness of the European Aeronautics" and
- Mr. Catalin Nae from EREA spoke about "Manufacturing challenges for next generation fast rotorcraft - Outstanding opportunities for research establishments in Europe".
The Proceedings of the Workshop will be published by MATEC Web of Conferences, an Open Access publication series dedicated to archiving conference proceedings dealing with all fundamental and applied research aspects. Further to the proceedings, a number of selected papers will be published in international journals following peer review. The confirmed international journals in which full papers will be published are the following:
- Aerospace - Open Access Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal
- International Journal of Structural Integrity
Finally and responding to the increasing interest from the European Aeronautics Community for a scientific event which offers a forum for discussion and exchange of information about state-of-the-art research and development activities in Aeronautics and Air Transport, EASN has announced its 9th EASN International Conference on Innovation in Aviation & Space to be held on September 3 - 6, 2019 in Athens, Greece
co-organised with the National Technical University of Athens and the University of Patras.
Key-note presentations are available here
The 2018 EASN Conference Proceedings Issue is available here